Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday happenings

Good afternoon family! Caroline and I had a very busy day today, despite my wondering earlier in the day about what we could possibly do. We had a wonderful time at church, and were very thankful that the Wiebrachts came and sat with us in our very empty seat row.

I was thinking of you Daddy when we made blueberry jam! I promise it won't all be gone when you get back. LOL
Here is Caroline at the stove stirring a pot of sheep milk and tending the drying jerky and apple slices. I had to leave the oven open because the temperature to dry the jerky was supposed to be 120 degrees, our oven only went down to 170. A very interesting bit of information I'm sure you all wanted to know about:-)


Valerie, you're little dog is in big trouble right now. I was shocked at what she did today...

Some lovely smelling meat sitting on the counter...who could resist?
This is the story.
I had to go outside because Kyle Moore and his friend Sebastian wanted to go see the sheep again. (They wanted to see them yesterday too.) Anyway, while I was out, Anna pulled out of her collar, jumped up on the counter and pulled the towel that had about a Lb (or 4$ worth!) of meat on it. She ate every scrap of the meat by the time I came back inside. I truly had no idea that she was capable of doing something like that! It was disappointing. But it was fortunate that I did two different recipes, so the other half of the meat was still in a container with a lid on. I just hope she doesn't get sick!
My first jerky ever! Here's a few pieces that are finished drying. It is a barbecue recipe. In my humble opinion, :-) it is quite tasty!

This was a very interesting experiment...sheep's milk cheese! It's very good too, although we didn't put enough salt in it, so we're sprinkling it on.
Ha ha. Remember that skirt I made? The fabric was the closest thing we had to a cheese cloth :-) It worked very well!
This is pure honey taffy we made.
Yeah I know, my hair's a mess:-)


Dinner! Glazed chicken stir-fry. I had been looking forward to making dinner for several days and this was what we both decided on doing tonight.

This is by far the most interesting experiment yet! Coffee substitute! Some of you would never guess what it's made out of. I could torture you a little and wait to explain what it is until later, but I'll be nice. It is chopped and dried dandelion root.
And yes, we tasted it:-) We tried it black first. I told Caroline that it wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't good either:-) I concluded that coffee is not a survival food anyway (unless you're Grammie of course) so I wouldn't bother spending the time digging up those deep and hard to dig up roots for a half disgusting drink you don't need:-)

We didn't make more paper today, but these are the completely dried result of yesterday's.


That's it folks! Caroline and I will probably finish watching National Treasure and crochet, and go off to bed.
Have a good night!
Lydie

3 comments:

Momma said...

Oh my!!!!! You did ALL that in one afternoon???? We're really missing out on all those yummy things! Well, not sure about the dandelion root coffee: )

Love you two soooo much!
Momma

Kelley said...

ok just stop it already! LOL!

Me thinks you should sit down and read a book :)

Or...on the other hand...I could use some dinner-jam-paper-cheese-jerky-driedappleslices-bread-skirt-cookie-making, fruit-veggie-growing helpers around here!!!

How much do you charge and when should I come get you?

Love YOUZES!!!
Aunt Kelley

Lydie said...

You know Aunt Kelley, all those things make a very interesting combination of you think of them as all put together in a big pot or something. Hmmmm... fruit and veggies growing in dinner-jam-paper-cheese-jerky-driedappleslices-bread- and skirt cookies. Gross! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

We would gladly come help you for free! :-) I miss you!

Don't worry momma, we threw all the coffee out, so there won't be any here when you guys get back:-)

Love you all more than all the dandelions in the world! ( I could have said in our yard and it might have been sufficient...I think we own about half the population in the world out there:-)

Lydie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...