1. Worldwide orphan estimates - UNICEF estimates 210 million, though this does not include some classes of orphans, such as trafficking victims, middle eastern orphans, etc. (Based on our own research, this number probably does include "single orphans" which means they still have one parent, but there is a high risk that the one parent remaining may also die from disease, etc. or is unable to provide/care for the child.)
2. United States orphans - legally free kids, not counting foster children whose parents have rights still attached - about 130,000
3. United States foster care - including legally-free kids - about 500,000.
4. Number of professing Christians in America 225,000,000. This works out to about 450 Christians per child in the system in the US. Or, 1,730 Christians per legally-free child.
5. Washington State foster children - 10,000
6. Washington State legally free children - 1,573
7. Number of churches in Washington - about 5,000
8. The local (both US and WA state) numbers clearly show that the Church is capable of addressing this problem on her own.
9. "Embryo Adoption and the Protection of Life (Laura Godwin, Nightlight Christian Adoptions). There are more than 500,000 embryos in storage. What is their future? Well, there are four options for these embryos: indefinite cryopreservation; objects of research resulting in destruction; destruction; or life. As we consider adoption, some will be called to adopt newborns, some to adopt children in orphanages around the world, and some to adopt waiting embryos. All life is precious in God’s eyes. Whatever our individual emphasis may be, let us stand together in protecting and preserving all life. If you are starting the adoption journey, you may want to consider your role in giving life to one of these embryos. Your adoption will just start earlier than most . . ." Excerpt from an article online by Together for Adoption.
"Learn to do good; seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan . . . " Isaiah 1:17 (nasb)
"He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing." Deuteronomy 10:18 (nasb)
"You shall not afflict any widow or orphan." Exodus 22:22 (nasb)
"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' " Matthew 25:40 (nasb)
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans . . . " James 1:27 (NIV)
"Adopting a child may not change the world, but it will change the world for a child!"
We are not all called to adopt, but we can all do something! We can pray, give financially, support families that are adopting, sponsor a child, visit orphans, etc.
"With man this is impossible,
but not with God;
all things are possible with God."
Mark 10:27 (NIV)