Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Afternoon

At around noon, I went back to check on Richie and Lydia.  Richie's primary surgeon and his assistant were in their room visiting with them. 
 
Within a few minutes of Dr. Porter leaving, I stepped out to try to catch him to ask him a quick question, but he was already gone.  When I came back into the room, Richie was calling my name, alerting me to look over at Lydia, sitting in a chair beside his bed.  She was sobbing, and saying strange things like "I do not know where I am", and "I am so confused, I don't know what is real and what was a dream".  Then, she stood up and looked out the window and said something like "oh, that protest couldn't have happened because we are at roof level".   Yikes!  I was quickly trying to assess what could have possibly gone so wrong in just a few minutes.  She continued to cry and act disoriented.  I began to wonder if she was having low blood sugar problems, as I know she had not eaten at all on Thursday.  (Later I found out she didn't eat on Wednesday either!)  And also, perhaps her lack of sleep was also playing a part.
 
So the nurse brought her some OJ and apple juice and she ate a yogurt and a cookie.  I didn't want to leave her to get more food, so I suggested she try to lay back and rest.  She would try, but then start saying things again about how troubled she was that she couldn't figure out what things really happened and what things were a dream.   Later, she said she really had a feeling of dread come over her, and that she was afraid to go to sleep, as when she would wake, she would just be more confused and troubled. 
 
So, finally I was able to feel comfortable enough leaving her to get Ted.  By this time, she was starting to feel a lot better.  We had a little chuckle . . .between her confusion, and Richie heavily medicated . . .they made quite a pair!! : -)
 
We decided it was so important for her to get a nutritious meal, so we took her down to the cafeteria and she ate a yummy hamburger.  Over dinner, she continued to describe the struggle that had been going on in her mind.  We all came to the conclusion, that when I left the room for a moment, she must have passed out and had been trying to regain her bearings. (Thankfully, sitting in the chair right by where she was standing.)   Her behavior really did remind me of how she was acting when she passed out recently when having an IV placed for her colonoscopy.  
 
She actually felt comforted and a sense of relief come over her as we decided that this is what must have happened.  This was reassuring to her, as she was thinking maybe she had lost her mind. : -)
 
Soon after getting her back to Richie's room, she was feeling all better and Darrell, Rachel, Rich and Janet were there.   So, we felt comfortable leaving and heading for home. 
 
Poor Richie!  Between this scary episode and some increased pain, he was not feeling very well for awhile.  Just before we left for the cafeteria, the nurse gave him a bolus of pain medication.  So, upon our return, he was back to feeling much more groggy, but hopefully the pain was much less.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers for Richie and Lydia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that Richie is improving and that Lydia is resting and taking care of herself . . .thnak you again for the updates . . . cyber hugs . . . Tom and Pat

AZDonna said...

Oh Robyn, that must have been so frightening and concerning for you and poor (helpless) Richie to watch. And poor Lydia to experience that again! I'm so glad you were close by and could get some sugar and carbs into her. Glad to hear Richie is doing okay, and getting some relief for his pain. I imagine the pain must be pretty intense after such a complicated surgery.

Praying for healing for Richie, and peace and strong health for Lydia. May God's blessing be upon you all

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...