Tuesday, August 2, 2022

It's Been a Hot Week and We Have Fought Hard for the Flowers and Other Growing Things Outside!

So the sun and heat were intense for about a week or more recently.  Up to 100 degrees for many days . . .which is unusual for the PNW!  So many things planted here in our neck of the woods don't care for this intense sun and heat.  This is one measure I take to protect my beautiful hydrangeas from getting fried.  It is a lot of work, and so very unsightly.  But it helped keep them from completely frying in the hot sun.  I've fought hard to keep everything watered and as protected as I can from the unusual heat.
It has kept me extra busy hauling water all over our property! 

There are 3 hydrangea plants in this bunch by our front door.  They have gotten so big over the years, that I can't possibly cover all the blooms.  So this side had to stay uncovered. 
This is my happy place on hot days.  It is down in our woods.  It is slightly cooler there! 

Today, I took the sheets off . . .and lo and behold most of the blooms have been saved from frying! 
The pumpkins thrive in the heat and sun!  They have been slow growing up till this week! Now they are getting quite big!  But I have been out watering them every morning! 

I have 2 of these sunflower plants that did not thrive in the heat.  They look like how I felt through the heat!  Hahaha! 
Rose bush that Victoria gave to me for Mother's Day several years ago.  Isn't it beautiful?  This is the second time it has tried to bloom.  The first time, the deer came by and ate all the roses off of it!  

I've been spraying it like crazy with deer repellent, but sometimes this "candy" for the deer is just too tempting for them! 

Hydrangea that is fairly protected from the hot sun.  But it has to be watered every day! 
Most of the dahlias are doing well . . . 

This rose bush in front of our gazebo has never looked this good!  It must have loved the sun and heat!
Dahlias in front of the gazebo . .doing well! 


Love the gladiolas that are starting to bloom!  They make be so happy with all the different colors.  Looks like the light yellow like to bloom first! 
This is my flower display by where our driveway meets the road . . .welcoming us home. 


These sunflowers seems very happy there.  Must get some shade in the afternoon? 

All my impatiens are still doing well.  They do prefer the shade when it is so hot. 


Love this delphinium that is just blooming.  It was a gift from a puppy buyer. 
This purple hanging basket is from Lydia on Mother's Day.  It is probably the happiest of all the hanging baskets . . .just like Lydia! 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...