Monday, February 18, 2013

40 Days . . .


 . . since we received the first draft of our home study for our international adoption.   Since then, it has been in the “editing” phase, bouncing (slowly) back and forth from our social worker here that wrote it, to our adoption agency in Colorado.   All three of us have something to say about what is written and recorded there for our government and the Ethiopian government to evaluate us by.  It can all be a bit awkward and unsettling, when it is every detail of your life being examined, written and read about, and then revised.  (Especially when we all see things from very different perspectives and worldviews.) It has been quite a learning experience, in a number of ways.  I think as we're finally coming around this corner, we're seeing that this process is not only about us “visiting” orphans in their need, but that our loving Father has many other good things planned for the long journey. :-)

I’m definitely learning more about being thankful . . .in all circumstances.

“Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. ”  1 Thessalonians 5:16

“Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”  Ephesians 5:19b – 20

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17

“Rejoice in the Lord always.   I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”  Philippians 4:4-6

“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God . . . ”  Hebrews 12:28a

I’m REALLY learning more about waiting on the Lord. (Wow, for some reason, it has never really struck me just how much God’s people are called to wait on Him! And how much HE gets done in the process! ;-)

“Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.  Isaiah 64:4

“I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.  My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.”  Psalm 130:5-6

 “In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.”  Ps. 5:3

“Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.  The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”  Lam. 3:22-26

“Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.  For the Lord is a God of justice.  Blessed are all who wait for him.”  Isaiah 30:18

“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.”  Psalm 40:1 (I’m still working on the “patiently” part! J)

“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”  Psalm 27:14

“We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.   May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.”  Psalm 33:20-22

And as I have waited on Him, I have been greatly encouraged, once again, by the Truth that His sovereign, good plans WILL prevail and that I can fully put my trust and hope in Him!!

Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, (I love this!) you rebels. (me?;-)  Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.  I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.  I say:  My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.”  Isaiah 46: 9-10
“Then Job replied to the Lord:  ‘I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.’ ”  Job 42:1-2
“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”  Proverbs 19:21

“In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”  Proverbs 16:9

“May the favor of the Lord rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.”  Psalm 90:17
“A man’s steps are directed by the lord.  How then can anyone understand his own way?”  Proverbs 20:24

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8

“For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  Romans 8:28
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  Ephesians 2:10

“For the word of the Lord is right, and true; he is faithful in all he does.”  Psalm 33:4

And then, I’m learning a lot about resting in Him and not losing heart in the wait!!! 

“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.”  Psalm 62:5

“Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”  Psalm 42:5,11 and 43:5

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”  Galatians 6:9

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  Hebrews 12:2-3

“Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.  Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.  On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.”  2 Co. 4:1-2

Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.  Psalm 126:5 (I really love this, as I have shed a lot of tears in these 40 days!)

And lastly, I’m still being heavily trained in the “Do Not Grumble” and “Be Patient” boot camp!!! 

“Do everything without complaining . . . ”  Philippians 2:14

“ . . .be patient with everyone.”  1 Thessalonians 5:14b

 "But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts,
O Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone."
Psalm 71:14-16

1 comment:

Meemom said...

Many bible verses are listed here that give us all great comfort.
I know it is hard to wait, but God's timing is perfect.

Very interesting news about Benjamin's sister. Will be anxious to hear the next steps that are taken in regard too this little girl. Hopefully the outcome will make everyone exceedingly happy. Love to you all, Meemom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...